Lauren Lately vol 2


L A U R E N    L A T E L Y 

v o l   2:    T R Y I N G     S O M E T H I N G      N E W

Hello, friends! Welcome back to the second installment of the lauren lately series, where I share one thing I have been inspired by lately, major life events, fun new online finds, or really anything I feel like sharing:)

Today I would like to talk about the topic of trying something new.

Speaking as an introvert who is *very* comfortable in her own comfort zone, this may come across as a smidge hypocritical. But I'm making small steps out of that comfort zone, and I thought I would share my thoughts on my journey so far.

First, I need to let you in on a little backstory. I have loved doing art for many, many years now. It is such a healthy creative outlet for me. However, I am incredibly insecure about my art, and I frequently talk myself down as an artist. Part of it comes from my very acute understanding that most of the time, I have no idea what I am doing. I didn't study this in college, I never took art lessons (aside from elementary school art classes [Thanks Mrs. Ross!]), and I draw in a style that is definitely not refined or by any means classic.

Although my art has certainly grown and developed over the years, I feel like most recently I have made the greatest progress in refining my style and growing in confidence. And do you know why? Because I started trying new things. I would try drawing in totally different styles, and from those experiences I would learn different things I could apply in my own, unique style to give it that much more.

One thing I've been working on lately is drawing animals. This all stemmed from frustration over trying to draw a bear for a National Forest play set I was working on (more thoughts on creative frustration here). My sweet husband (who is an incredibly talented artist) made a suggestion that I try drawing a bear in a totally different and more lifelike style. At first I wanted to cry (and honestly probably did a little bit), because I didn't LIKE that style of drawing, because I thought I couldn't DO that style of drawing.

(the bear that caused my frustration)

But guess what? I thought I couldn't do it because I never even tried. I had let my fear of failing at something new inhibit me from growing and becoming greater. 

Kaleb and I started watching bear videos, studied pictures of bears, and drew bear after bear after bear. After bears, we moved on to tigers, moose, squirrels, rabbits. You name it, we drew it. We bought a great big sketchbook and charcoals, and dedicated time each night to practice our new skill.

Along my journey, I was inspired by the master artist Aaron Blaise, artist and animator for a number of Disney films. Kaleb and I essentially watched his entire youtube channel, where he generously offers countless lessons and tutorials, most of which are over an hour in length. He also has online classes through his website where you can learn in even greater detail. I am astounded that this man has not only mastered his own art, but has such a kind and generous soul that the art just pours out of him and he has to share it with others. You can just feel it when he is talking and teaching. It's a magical experience to be a part of.

Here's a rabbit I drew one night we were practicing, back in April (making progress!):

A few weeks later, I tried another bear:


Here's the deal. Am I now a master artist who can draw any animal in perfect likeness in any pose? No. But I learned so much from studying their forms, their shading, their fur patterns. I learned to look closer. I grew as an artist. And all because I tried something new.

So hey, you! Go try something new. Something that's been scaring you. Although it is an uncomfortable and absolutely terrifying journey, I promise, you will emerge stronger.

Have a lovely little day,
Lauren

Comments

  1. Great information!!! Thanks for your wonderful informative blog.
    Village Talkies a top-quality professional corporate video production company in Bangalore and also best explainer video company in Bangalore & animation video makers in Bangalore, Chennai, India & Maryland, Baltimore, USA provides Corporate & Brand films, Promotional, Marketing videos & Training videos, Product demo videos, Employee videos, Product video explainers, eLearning videos, 2d Animation, 3d Animation, Motion Graphics, Whiteboard Explainer videos Client Testimonial Videos, Video Presentation and more for all start-ups, industries, and corporate companies. From scripting to corporate video production services, explainer & 3d, 2d animation video production , our solutions are customized to your budget, timeline, and to meet the company goals and objectives.
    As a best video production company in Bangalore, we produce quality and creative videos to our clients.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment