Formal vs. Casual Calligraphy


Hello, friends! Welcome back to our lovely little lettering series. Today's is all about the difference in calligraphy styles. We will examine the differences and discover what makes the extremes so recognizable. We'll then talk about how learning the two extremes can help you find your own style, and possibly mix and match to fit your own unique style.



I created a worksheet for this topic, but I felt like I didn't need to make a video to cover the basics on this one. You can get your worksheet by clicking here.




F O R M A L  C A L L I G R A P H Y

Formal calligraphy is beautiful and timeless. This is something you would see on a wedding invitation or other fancy occasions.

This style is full of fancy flourishes, which is something you can learn more about by clicking here. The letters are also very consistent in touching the baseline, and the thin downstrokes are iconic.

I like to try out different pens for different styles of calligraphy. I reviewed a few calligraphy pens here, and I also just bought a Kuretake Fudegokochi (fine point) that I have been loving. It has some great thin downstrokes that are perfect for this style.


C A S U A L  C A L L I G R A P H Y

Casual, modern calligraphy is a growing trend and so fun for writing quotes, addressing envelopes, and other less formal occasions.

To be honest, casual, modern calligraphy does not have too many rules. You can do anything you would like with it! Some key elements (could) include bounce lettering, a mix of print and cursive, larger loops in your letters, and other variants. Just have fun with it!


F I N D I N G  Y O U R  S T Y L E

The key to finding your own style is to try both styles and find your own happy medium! I personally tend to lean towards formal calligraphy, but I will occasionally add in variants and mix in more casual elements.

Practice, practice, practice, and as you practice your own style will begin to emerge.

Have a lovely little day!
Lauren

Comments