My Clipped Wing

This past month was pretty crazy for our little family. I have been taking horseback riding lessons which has been so much fun, but the second week of January my horse spooked and I took a bad fall.

The result:
 
(fyi, not what wrists should look like)

Surgery. Meeting our deductible within the first 17 days of the year. Many phone calls to the insurance and hospital. Teaching one-handed. The possibility of never playing my viola again (I'll selfishly admit this was the scariest part for me).

 

But some amazing things happened, too. Life can be so busy, and this experience showed me what was really important to me. I didn't have a ton of energy, and I had to really prioritize what I spent my time on. It was pretty much a month full of family and art, which was incredible.

I also had so many family members and friends take such good care of me. They were so sweet and thoughtful, and I felt showered in love.

Through this experience I learned that even in the hardest moments, there are the sweetest and most wonderful blessings.

As of yesterday, the cast is off! My motion is still pretty restricted, but it is so much better than it was. I can type again! (No more one-handed research papers for grad school!) I can hold my husband's hand (cheesy alert). I can grasp paper and open ziplock baggies. And if anyone ever messes with me, I have a sick scar to scare them off with. And a metal plated arm to punch them with.

 

 Just kidding. Violence is never the answer. #givepeaceachance

Here's to a better 2018 starting......now!


Comments